Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Have Not Traveled This Way Before

Worship through Fasting and Prayer

“'You have not traveled this way before.' Joshua told the people, 'Ritually consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will perform miraculous deeds among you.'"

Joshua 3:4b-5

Dear Catherine,

Here are some thoughts to contemplate about this 45 days of consecration. Although some of this applies to refraining from meals altogether, I hope these thoughts can help us to make the most of this period of the Daniel fast.

Before I start, let me say… I will be in China March 15-April 1st, so I will have to be flexible in my fasting since I don’t know what will be served. When I have a choice, I want to limit myself to a plant-based diet and water. As a guest, I will need to be sensitive to cultural expectations.

I hope we can communicate through email, though I can’t guarantee it. It will mean a lot to me to know you are praying for our trip during the fast and that we are reading the same passages of Scripture together. How should we divide up Hebrews? (13 chapters, 45 days)

Reasons for Fasting

More than what we abstain from, we commit to focus on the spiritual purposes. In reading through some material, it seems best for me to approach this time for the purpose of worship, with fasting and prayer as my primary means. I decided this after reviewing the following list of reasons:


Reasons to Fast Include: (from Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney)

  1. Strengthening prayer

Fasting “hoists the sails of the soul in hopes of experiencing the gracious wind of God’s spirit.”

  1. Seeking God’s guidance
  2. Humbling oneself before God

Fast not to be noticed by others unless absolutely necessary.

  1. Expressing concern for God’s work

Fasting draws us “into a more complete realization of the purposes of the Lord in our life, church, community, and nation.”

  1. Ministering to the needs of others
    1. Fasting can be used as a time dedicated specifically to meeting others’ needs
    2. Fasting can help me empathize with those whose needs are unmet
  2. Overcoming temptation and dedicating oneself to God
    1. Fasting is a way to express to God that He is my greatest pleasure, my portion, my priority in everything, even food.
    2. Thoughts of food will prompt not just praises, but questions of God and to inquire what He might desire of us in this season of our lives.
  3. Expressing love and worship of God

Do any of these jump out to you?

Fasting as Worship

This last reason jumped out to me. Like I said, I’ve always admired Anna, the prophetess, in Luke 2 who, “never left the temple but worshiped day and night with fasting and prayer.” Her example encompasses all of the listed reasons. Other things about her to note:

-She was a woman of Scripture

-She was a gifted communicator who spoke about Jesus to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem

-She approached the infant Jesus and immediately recognized him. I want to be able to recognize the presence of God as He reveals himself to me.

-She gave thanks to God constantly

-Worship was her primary reason for fasting and prayer

Another aspect of fasting, as we mentioned, is to prepare us for the feast of Easter Sunday in which we express our deep gratitude for receiving His sacrifice. I so look forward to the way this may prepare our hearts for that day!

Any thoughts you want to add to this?

Love to you!

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment