Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day One - Ash Wednesday and the Body


Day One - it officially begins!  

In response to Anna's last e-mail, I am reflective about the opportunity Lenten and fasting provides for us to think about the theology of the body.  Lent is all about the miracle of the Incarnation, and about how Jesus was able to overcome bodily affliction after bodily affliction through his many healing miracles and, ultimately, the resurrection of his own body after death.  What are we not understanding about our bodies if we don't see their worth the way he did?  Jesus probably could have made a much more spectacular display with his return if he'd boomed over all the earth in a loud voice and turned the sky bright orange and made his presence known to everyone, but even this - the most spectacular miracle to have ever been performed in the history of the universe - was done in and with a frail, pink, weak little human body. 

We'll get to a pretty neat passage in Daniel in a few days that talks about one of the visions Daniel has in a dream about the different kingdoms that will come to reign on earth.  He sees a series of beasts - 4 of them - and one is more horrifying than the last in fierceness, power, ugliness, and violence.  And then in Daniel's dream a final being appears: just a normal Son of Man, coming in peace.  And of course it is the kingdom symbolized in the body of a man that will never pass away.  

I have been preparing for about two or three weeks now, and I am so excited it's beginning. I am kicking things off with an absolute fast that I began at sundown last night - just water for 24 hours.  

The traditional "fasting" pains are setting in now - it's 12:25 p.m. and my body is wanting some lunch.  I'm a little headachey and weak. But as I sit here and think about Jesus' body, I'm touched by a profound holy paradox - Jesus demonstrated unprecedented power and might by coming to live in such a weak and fragile shape.  My body feels so weak and fragile right now - it's only been about 18 hours since I've eaten and I'm getting edgy.  But through embracing and understanding weakness, we invite God to act miraculously.  God loves to give power to the powerless.  I am thankful for the powerlessness of my body today as I anticipate the new ways it will grow the house the Lord in the next 6 weeks.  

Heading to the 7:30 Ash Wednesday service at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in the Palisades tonight.  So looking forward to the silent time of prayer and joining together with the body of Christ to begin this wonderful season. 

I pray for blessings upon everyone joining in some sort of fast today.  What exciting things await.  

No comments:

Post a Comment